Roper and winter hay sleigh photo taken by Cynthia Baldauf. For more information on Cindy Baldauf's photography, click HERE.
Photos of bucking horses through the town of Wisdom, and old home made horse trailer along the city street taken by Kay Jacobson. For more information on Kay Jacobson's photography, click HERE.
65 miles NW of Dillon, Montana.
Wisdom was named for the Wisdom (now the Big Hole) River that flows through the town. In 1805 Lewis and Clark, at the confluence of the tributaries of the Jefferson River near the present site of Twin Bridges, decided to name the three streams for the three "cardinal virtues" of the President and benefactor, Thomas Jefferson. But Philosophy, Philanthropy, and Wisdom proved to be too much for later settlers, who changed the names to the Big Hole, Beaverhead, and Ruby. But the town kept the name Wisdom and later a nearby waterway was named the Wise River. (from Cheney's Names on the Face of Montana, Mountain Press Publishing Company)
What you can find in Wisdom:
Volunteer Ambulance and Fire Department:
K-8 Elementary School. Post Office. Forest Service District Office. Big Hole National Battlefield. Masons Hall. V.F.W. Club. American Legion Post. 4-H Club
Content copyright . Big Hole Tourism Association. All rights reserved.